How to Make an Ice Cream Cake
You can create a stunning centerpiece for your next party with just a few ingredients (or homemade if you feel particularly ambitious). It can be stacked with ice-cold layers of cake, ice cream, and other goodies.
Ice cream cake is not too difficult to make. You can make ice cream cakes by alternating layers of ice cream with cake, crumbled cookies, and even dessert sauces such as chocolate or butterscotch. It's important to work quickly when making ice cream cakes. This will ensure that the ice cream does not melt. If you don't do this, the cake could become crystallized when it is frozen. This is our step-by-step guide on how to make delicious ice cream cakes.
The Ingredients to Make an Ice Cream Cake
You'll need to be prepared with all the ingredients and supplies needed for your ice cream creation.
1 Cake Sponge
2 Layers of cake
3 Cups ice cream at room temperature for 15 min
Crunchy fillings (such as crushed cookie bits or crushed brownies, or chocolate chips)
You can use whipped cream, meringue, or fudge sauce as toppings to decorate the top of your cake.
Pan lined with plastic wrap and frozen for 15 minutes
Steps in Making an Ice Cream Cake
1. Layer a layer of cake on a sheet tray. Top it with ice cream. Transfer your first layer of cake to the chilled, plastic wrap-lined tray. Spread 1.5 cups of softened ice cream over the top of each cake layer.
2. Mix the ice cream. Use a knife or an offset spatula to smoothen the ice cream over the cake layers. A thick layer of ice cream should be present.
3. Add a crunchy topping to the ice cream. Add crushed cookies, brownie bites, or chocolate chips to the top of your ice cream.
4. Add more ice cream to the crunchy bits. Sprinkle the remaining 1.5 cups of softened ice cream over the toppings.
5. Spread the second layer of ice cream. Smoothen the ice cream until it covers the crushed cookies and/or the crunchy layer of choice.
6. Add the second layer to the cake and freeze. Add the second layer of cake to the top of the ice cream. Place the cake in the freezer for at least 1 to 2 hours, or until the ice cream and cake are completely frozen.
7. Take the cake out of the freezer and add topping. To ensure that the finished product doesn't stick to the bottom, wrap the plastic wrap around the handles and gently lift the cake out of the pan. Spread toppings, such as meringue, whipped cream, or fudge sauce on the cake. Place it back in the freezer for at least an hour or until it sets.
How to Slice an Ice Cream Cake
After you have created a beautiful ice cream cake, you will need to learn how to cut it into crisp, clean pieces. This is a great tip: If you are serving guests, make sure to slice your cake beforehand, place it on a plate and then put it back in the freezer.
It should be taken out of the freezer at least 10 minutes before you serve it. To make it easier, you want the ice cream cake to soften a little bit but not melt.
Place the large, heavy-duty chef's knife blade in a tall glass filled with warm water. To help them get through a pint, they dip ice cream scoops into warm water. A chef's knife can be used to cut through layers of cake by dipping it in warm water. Make sure you dry the blade with paper towels.
The tip of your knife should be placed in the middle of the cake. To make an even cut, press the blade's back downwards.
Then, rinse the blade with water and dry it. Every cut (yes, every single one!) should be completed. After every cut (yes, everyone! ), you will need to rinse the blade with water and dry it. Otherwise, you risk messy results.
How Long Will an Ice Cream Cake Last in The Freezer?
Ice cream cakes can be stored in the freezer for up to seven days. After that time, large ice crystals may form. To avoid freezer burn, store your ice cream cake intact and uncut in the freezer.